This Post Originally Appeared Here
Selecting the right laptop for DJing isn’t just a matter of hardware requirements, factors such as durability, flexibility, and affordability play extremely vital roles in the process as well. That being said, this article attempts to shed light on the best laptops for DJing on the market today.
Best Laptops for DJing
1. Apple MacBook Pro
Starting off our list is the highly-popular Apple MacBook Pro with its Intel Dual-Core Core i5 2.3 GHz processor, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640, and 8 GB DDR4 RAM memory. The reason behind the MacBook Pro’s popularity when it comes to DJing is its remarkable reliability.
While not the most powerful MacBook Pro model out there, we feel that this model is more than adequate to handle any task a DJ throws at it. It’s also pretty affordable compared to other units that share the same brand. If budget isn’t a problem, any of Apple’s MacBooks will suffice.
Another reason why the MacBook Pro has always been held in such high regard is that all of its components are designed by the same company, from the operating system and software to the motherboard and all other sorts of hardware. This is truly a well-oiled piece of machinery.
As far as screen resolution, the MacBook Pro boasts a stunning native resolution of 2560×1600 at 277 pixels per inch, which is quite remarkable compared to a lot of other mainstream laptops. Battery-wise, this laptop features a 58.2 watt-hour battery that can keep it running for 10 hours.
The laptop also features a backlit keyboard, which will be of great help when you’re performing in dark settings. The laptop also features two Thunderbolt USB-C ports, a charging DisplayPort, and USB 3.1 Gen 2 that allows for up to 10 gigabytes/second. Highly recommended!
- Ninth-generation 8-Core Intel Core i9 Processor
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Amd Radeon Pro 5500M Graphics with GDDR6 memory
- Ultrafast SSD
Related: How To Become a DJ
2. Dell XPS 15 9570
If you’d like to invest in a laptop that can operate smoothly while handling some of the heaviest CPU loads, the Dell XPS 15 9570 is the right choice. However, this isn’t a budget laptop to any means, which doesn’t come as a surprise considering its highly-remarkable specs.
This laptop houses the 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H processor with a CPU speed of 4.1 GHz. Quite impressive, huh? It also features 32 GB worth of DDR4 RAM memory. This means that you’ll be able to run any DJ-related software and experience no delay whatsoever.
As far as the graphics, the XPS 15 9570 is equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5, which is a top-of-the-line GPU that will allow you to watch movies in 4k resolution. You can even use this laptop to fulfill your drawing and gaming passions.
If you compare the price tag of the Dell XPS 15 with the MacBook Pro, you’ll find that they’re not that far apart, so which one should you choose? Well, in terms of specs, it’s quite obvious which device is the winner here. The Dell XPS 15 takes this one by a very long shot.
It’s also worth noting that the Dell XPS 15 grants you way more ports than the MacBook Pro, so you’ll find it a lot easier to connect your equipment, which is very important for a DJ, as it allows you to carry much less gear than you would’ve carried if you lacked connecting ports.
- 15. 6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge anti-reflective touch IPS 100% a do be RGB 500-nits Display
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4. 5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x8G
- 1TB PCIe SSD
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
3. HP Envy X360
The Envy series from HP has been around for a considerable amount of time that spans around a decade and to this day, it remains one of the best laptop lines to grace the market. This laptop isn’t an overly expensive unit, so the vast majority of beginner DJs should be able to afford it.
What’s so great about this laptop is that even though it’s not as expensive as the Dell XPS 15 or the MacBook Pro, it still boasts excellent specs that allow it to handle all things DJing with grace and beauty. With this laptop, you don’t even have to think about spec comparisons anymore.
Now we’re not saying that this computer boasts the highest specs on our list, but unless you’re going to use it to mix music professionally or work with a load of effects, you don’t really require anything more than what the HP Envy X360 provides, so definitely take it into consideration.
So we’ve been rambling about this laptop’s specs for three paragraphs now without mentioning what they are exactly, the HP Envy X360 features an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, an AMD Radeon Vega 8 GPU, 8 GB worth of RAM memory, and 258 SSD.
Another thing that sets this brilliant unit apart from a lot of its peers is the fact that it’s one of the lightest and easiest computers to carry around, which is something that a DJ should hold in high regard. It’s also worth noting that the screen is touch-sensitive, so you can use it as a tablet.
- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U: AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5 2500U Processor, 2.0GHz Base Frequency, up to 3.60GHz, 6 MB Smartcache
- Expanded Storage: 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB PCle Solid State Drive, Can Exactly Reach Your Expectation
- HP Envy X360 15: 15.6" Full HD ( 1920 x 1080 ) IPS Touchscreen WLED Display, Boasts Impressive Color and Clarity, AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 Graphics Integrated
- External Ports: 1 x USB 3.1 Type-C, 2 x USB 3.1, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/microphone Combo Jacks, 1 x microSD Media Card Reader
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Built-in FHD IR Webcam, 802.11ac (2x2), Bluetooth 4.2, Backlit Keyboard, Windows Ink, up to 10.5 Hours Battery Life
4. Microsoft Surface Pro
If you’re one of those people that are skeptical with regard to the Microsoft Surface Pro’s ability to be a DJing laptop, which is understandable considering how Microsoft is pretty much new to laptop production, we’d like to tell you that the Surface Pro is indeed ideal for the job.
We’re aware that the laptop looks pretty slim and slick, which tends to lead many people to think that it’s lacking in terms of performance, but this slick piece of technology is a powerhouse. And while it may not boast the highest specs among its counterparts, it gets the job done beautifully.
Being such a slim and slick laptop, you can expect to be one of the most portable models on our list. Another thing that makes this laptop an ideal pick for DJs is its above-average battery life of up to 14 hours. With heavy CPU usage, you can get at least 6 hours of runtime from the battery.
For a budget DJ laptop, it’s certainly one of the most versatile on the market. It’s powered by an Intel Core i5 processor and it’s equipped with 8 GB worth of RAM memory. It’s also worth noting that this laptop can be converted into a tablet by closing the kickstand and folding the back.
Further, the tablet features a studio mode, which offers you 15-degree writing and drawing angle by simply lowering the kickstand. You can use the surface pen to write and draw easily. This is a laptop that you can use for almost anything, from writing and drawing to DJing.
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer. Wireless : Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible. Bluetooth Wireless 5.0 technology
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours, plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80% in just over an hour
5. Asus ROG Strix
The ROG Strix GL553VD from ASUS offers you the perfect blend of affordability, portability, and functionality. Equipped with a 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor and the powerful GTX 1050 from NVIDIA, the ROG Strix GL553VD can tackle virtually any DJing task with zero delay time.
This laptop features a 15.6-inch, full HD, IPS-like monitor that boasts a 178-degree wide viewing angle. In other words, this is a laptop that provides remarkable contrast and color consistency. It achieves such ideal contrast by reducing color shifts even from extreme positions.
One of the best attributes that this laptop boasts is its matte finish display. This sort of display is perfect when it comes to providing protection against reflections and screen glares which you’re likely going to be exposed to when you’re performing in clubs that have glaring disco lights.
Another thing that we’re quite fond of in the ROG Strix is the ROG Aura RGB keyboard. It offers 4-zone customizable lighting options that you’ll find pretty amusing. Further, the keyboard has a 2.5mm key travel distance, which allows you to type more swiftly and accurately.
Moreover, there’s a 30 N-Key Rollover that ensures keystroke registration even when you press multiple keys at the same time. Last but not least, the sleek design of this laptop definitely gives it a great deal of aesthetic appeal, especially with the metallic finish and double-color styling.
- Windows 10 HomeNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB dedicated graphics; 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H processor; 17.3" display; 16GB memory; 512GB solid state drive; Bluetooth; HDMI output; Webcam not included, DVD/CD drive not included
6. Lenovo ThinkPad
The Lenovo ThinkPad is often looked at as a budget alternative to the MacBook Pro. This laptop is available in multiple versions that vary in terms of RAM and disk space, which means that you will definitely be able to find a ThinkPad that accommodates your DJing needs.
If you’re someone who doesn’t know exactly what he/she needs from a laptop, then you want to start small in order to figure out exactly the specs you need then go higher from there. Lucky for you, most of the ThinkPad versions are ideal for DJing, so pick the best version for your budget.
When sifting through all 13 versions of the Lenovo ThinkPad, you have to make sure you select a model that houses a 7th generation processing unit. In addition, you need to make sure that it features at least 8 GB of RAM memory and 250 GB of SSD memory.
The aforementioned specs are what make a laptop that’s ideal for beginner DJs since you won’t really need a whole lot of power to master your craft at first. If you’ve been DJing for a while and you’re looking for something with a bit more oomph, check out the higher-end ThinkPads.
Overall, we have to say that for the price tags of their computers, Lenovo certainly knows how to create outstanding computers for virtually every possible budget you may think of. And while the ThinkPad isn’t the most affordable unit on the list, it definitely offers a great bang for the buck.
- 15.6 in HD WLED-backlit screen (1366x768),Intel UHD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Bluetooth 5.0; Intel Core i5-8265U Quad Core Processor (6MB Cache, 1.6GHz up to 3.90GHz)
- RAM is upgraded to 8GB memory for multitasking Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once
- Hard Drive is upgraded to 256GB SSD provides massive storage space for huge files, so that you can store important digital data and work your way through it with ease. It gives you enormous space to save all of your files. Enhance the overall performance of the laptop for business, student, daily usage.
- 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ,1 x USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
- Windows 10 Home brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. | 1-Year UpgradePro Limited Warranty* | View description and warranty section below for more details.
Factors to Keep Into Consideration
Screen Size – You want to make sure that the laptop you’re going to buy offers a screen of ample size. DJing on a laptop that has a small screen is extremely uncomfortable.
USB Ports – Another thing you must make sure of is that your laptop offers enough USB ports for your equipment, as using a USB hub can complicate a lot of things for you.
Screen Resolution – If you’re a Serato or Virtual DJ, you may find it okay to DJ on a unit that has a resolution of 1280×800, but for Traktor, you definitely need more than that.
Solid State Hard Drive – While not necessary, SSD drives ensure reliability, as there are no moving parts in their operation. However, these drives tend to be quite costly.
Battery Life – For a DJ, there’s nothing worse than having your laptop die on you as you perform, so make sure the battery life on your laptop is enough for an entire set of DJing.
Screen Brightness – If you’re a DJ that often plays daytime gigs, this is quite significant because laptop screens don’t work well with sunlight, so make sure it’s bright enough.
Portability – When shopping for a DJing laptop, you want to make sure that the size and weight of the laptop are appropriate for you so that it won’t be a burden to carry around.
Build Quality – You want to steer clear of laptops that have a cheap plastic case as they can be rendered useless easily. Make sure your laptop can handle some abuse.
There you have it folks, six of the best laptops that are ideal for DJing. Please let us know which one of the above-mentioned laptops you think is ideal for you and why.
Related: Best Laptop Stand for Musicians